"Leadership is communicating people's worth and potential so clearly that they are inspired to see it in themselves." ---Stephen R. Covey
What is The Leader In Me?
The Leader in Me is an approach to developing a culture of leadership in our schools and is based on The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People® by Stephen Covey. Founded on internationally recognized, universal principles, The Leader in Me model emphasizes skills that parents, teachers and business leaders want and that students need to be successful in an ever changing society:
- Leadership Responsibility
- Accountability Problem Solving
- Adaptability Communication
- Initiative and Self-direction Creativity
- Cross-cultural Skills Teamwork
Developing a culture of leadership in our schools is about helping children be leaders of their own lives, it helps them identify their own unique talents and abilities and encourages them to make a positive difference in the world.
The Leader in Me approach has been shown to produce:
- higher academic achievement
- improved school culture
- decreases in disciplinary issues
- increased engagement among teachers and parents
- a common language for teachers, students, and parents
- and equips students with self-confidence and essential life skills
The Leader in Me is not an event and it's not a curriculum. It is an integrated approach to leadership development that will help the district fulfill its mission statement:
In partnership with parents and community, the mission of the NCSD is to ensure that all students develop the knowledge, skills and character necessary to achieve their highest potential and to be productive members of an ever changing society.
Our Leader in Me Journey
The Novi Community School District has already embarked on this exciting journey to help all of our students become leaders. The district has accomplished the following:
- Trained "staff-trainers" in each building for long-term cost savings and sustainability
- Coordinated 7 Habits Signature Training for all K-6 staff
- Integrated common language of 7 Habits into K-6 classrooms and buildings
- Built an authentic relationship with Franklin-Covey
- Hosted 7 Habits Parent Night for community
- Empowered 7 Habits parent group
- Offered 7 Habits for Effective Families training
- Obtained the support of the Novi Educational Foundation for Leader in Me
- Committed to expanding the model beyond the elementary grades to the Middle School and High School
- Completed Implementation Training for all K-6 staff in the fall of 2013
We Invite You To...
Visit The Leader in Me website http://www.theleaderinme.org/
Read The Leader in Me book by Stephen R. Covey
Ask your child about the 7 Habits
Visit the Novi Public Library to check out The 7 Habits of Happy Kids by Sean Covey and read it to your kids
Talk with a member of our Parent Leadership Team
Ask your child about his/her data/leadership notebook
Visit A.B. Combs Elementary School's website http://combses.wcpss.net/
Attend a concert or performance where students are interpreting the 7 Habits
Visit our online photo and video gallery HERE!
Visit Beaumont Elementary School's website http://www.beaumonttogetherwelead.com/
Download a list of suggested books that you can use to reinforce the 7 Habits at home HERE!
Visit the Sean Covey website for 7 Habits games and activities for kids http://www.seancovey.com/
Add your name to the Leader in Me Mail List subscription for email updates HERE!
Print out the 7 Habits Tree to post on your refrigerator HERE!
Subscribe to your school's Facebook or Twitter pages to receive updates on Leader in Me activities in your child's school HERE!
Attend a Celebration of Learning
Begin with the End in Mind (Habit #2): Set a goal, track progress and celebrate!
Model the 7 Habits in your family
Attend a 7 Habits of Highly Effective Families Session taught by one of our teacher leaders, Mrs. Jodi Balconi
Visit the Novi Educational Foundation website to read about their sponsorship of The Leader in Me http://www.novieducationalfoundation.org/
"A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way." ---John C. Maxwell
Habit One: Be Proactive
- I have a "Can Do" attitude.
- I choose my actions, attitudes and moods. I don't blame others. I do the right thing without being asked, even if nobody is looking.
Habit Two: Begin with the End in Mind
- I plan ahead and set goals.
- I do things that have meaning and make a difference. I am an important part of my classroom. I look for ways to be a good citizen.
Habit Three: Put First Things First
- I spend my time on things that are most important.
- This means I say no to things I should not do.
- I set priorities, make a schedule, and follow my plan. I am organized.
Habit Four: Think Win-Win
- I want everyone to be a success. I don't have to put others down to get what I want. It makes me happy to see other people happy. I like to do nice things for others. When a conflict arrives, I help brainstorm a solution. We all can win!
Habit Five: Seek First To Listen, Then to Be Understood
- I listen to other people's ideas and feelings. I try to see things from their viewpoints.
- I listen to others without interrupting. I am confident in voicing my ideas.
Habit Six: Synergize
- I value other people's strengths and learn from them. I get along well with others, even people who are different from me. I work well in groups. I seek out other people's ideas to solve problems. I know that "two heads are better than one". I am a better person when I let other people into my life and work.
Habit Seven: Sharpen the Saw
- I take care of my body by eating right, exercising, and getting sleep. I spend time with family and friends. I learn in lots of ways and lots of places.