The class helps students develop answers to the following questions:
1. Why would a gelatin animal always eventually freeze in sub-freezing temperatures but a rabbit would not?
2. If you were stranded in a winter storm without a fire how could by keep from freezing?
3. Do all animals have the ability to scent track?
4. Can a scent tracker sometimes "lose" the track they are following?
5. As animals become older, their sense of smell becomes less sensitive. What problems might this cause in a wolf? a deer?
6. How would your life be different if you had a highly developed sense of smell like that of a dog?
The Wildlife class helps students understand how animalsmay or may not survive winter's harshness.
Students learn various tracks left by animals and have the opportunity to practice their tracking or hiding techniques! The shelter shown above is the staging area for students attending the Wildlife class.