Novi K-12 Virtual School
Our virtual school will have many positive aspects:
- Novi teachers
- Novi curriculum
- A full-time Novi administrator
- Technology provided
- Built on our success of this year
- For Novi Community School District students only
Novi Virtual Start Times
Grades K-4: 9 a.m. - 3:52 p.m.
Grades 5-6: 7:30 a.m. - 2:22 p.m.
- Grades 7-8: 8:30 a.m. - 3:11 p.m.
- Grades 9-12: 8 a.m. - 2:44 p.m.
Frequently Asked Questions
June 7, 2021 UPDATE
How long of a commitment is this? Will I be able to move my child(ren) back to in-person if I change my mind?
- This is a full year commitment.
- You will not be able to change to the in-person modality during the 2021-2022 school year.
- You will be able to move back to in-person the following year, 2022-2023, and will be placed in your home/neighborhood school.
What will the structure of the school day be? Is Virtual School format the same as the current semester ? If yes, will the virtual school have class over the zoom ?
- The school day will mirror our “brick and mortar” K-12 programming with both synchronous and asynchronous components. (work on this 5-6 and k-4)
Synchronous class time will be spent over Zoom.
Will the Novi virtual school offer the Novi High Medical Career Explorations class?
The Medical Career Explorations Class will be offered in person. Virtual students who were selected for this class may go into the school for this class. Families with virtual students attending in person classes will need to provide transportation to and from the school for that class period.
Will the Novi virtual school offer the AP classes like in-person class ? Is the AP class teacher the same as the in-person class teacher ?
- If it is curricularly appropriate and there are enough interested students, then our Novi High School teachers will teach a virtual section of the AP class.
Will there be an orientation in August?
- We will offer a virtual open house to support families and students.
Where is the physical building of the Novi virtual school located?
- The Novi virtual school will be housed at the ROAR Center. The ROAR center is located off of Meadowbrook Road at 41500 Gardenbrook Rd, Novi, MI 48375. ROAR stands for Robotics, Online Learning, and Adult Readiness. This is a beautiful building that has flexible spaces where teachers could choose to meet with groups of students.
Will it be totally separate from Novi Woods, for example, or any of the other elementary schools? Are there any teachers or syllabus from Novi Woods or the other elementary schools that will be integrated? Does a classroom consist of students from all elementary schools? Or would it just consist of a single school?
The K-4 classes at the Novi virtual school will consist of students from all of the elementary schools. Each class will be staffed by Novi teachers who may have taught at any of the Novi elementary schools in the 2020-2021 school year.
If opting out next time, would the student be placed back in the original designated school?
If students return to in person learning for the following school year, then they will be placed back at their neighborhood school.
What are the major differences between how the Novi virtual school would be compared to how virtual was conducted this year?
- We have been gathering stakeholder input about what has worked well this year and how we could modify our virtual learning moving forward. Educators will build on our successes from the 2020-2021 school year.
Will the Novi virtual school students be part of Novi High School Graduation?
- The Novi virtual school students that are in grades 9-12 are Novi High School students. Graduating seniors will be honored at our Novi High School graduation ceremony.
Will Novi continue to offer virtual options beyond the 2021-2022 school year?
- Yes, Novi is committed to building a sustainable virtual program.
May 27, 2021 Update
Do students get the same diploma as an in person class student?
- Yes, graduating students will receive a Novi High School diploma.
Will breakfast and lunch be provided for students?
- Families may elect to pick up free meals (breakfast and lunch) for their student(s) on a to-be-determined weekly distribution day at the Novi High School.
May 21, 2021 Update
Which classes will be available at the high school and middle school?
We will do everything we possibly can to ensure that students can take the courses that they are interested in. This may include taking some courses in person and others virtually.
Once families select the virtual option, can they switch back to in person learning?
- We would like families to make a full year commitment to the virtual option recognizing that we will address individual concerns as they arise.
Will the district provide technology?
Students will be provided with a NCSD device (K-1: iPad, 2-12: Chromebook), which students will need to use for virtual instruction.
Will students come in-person for assessments?
- Students will be required to come in-person to participate in State-required testing (SAT, PSAT, ACT WorkKeys, M-STEP, MI-ACCESS, WIDA). Students also may be asked to come onsite to participate in district benchmark exams (i-Ready, NWEA, Fountas and Pinnel, etc).
Will students be able to participate in after school sports and activities?
Virtual students may go to the buildings to participate in after school sports and activities.
If your question is not answered on this page please email Emily Pohlonski, the principal of the virtual school.