August 8 Ballot Information
On Tuesday, August 8th, Novi Community School District residents will be asked to approve two (2) different millages; the Non-Homestead Operating Millage and the Recreation Millage. Both of these millages, if approved, will result in no increase in taxes to primary homestead homeowners. The Operating Millage will be for a period of 11 years, 2023 through 2033, and the Recreational Millage will be for 10 years, from 2024 through 2033.
The Non-Homestead Operating Millage is the school district's operating millage and has a direct affect on the per pupil foundation allowance that the district receives from the state. This renewal, if approved, will keep the existing 18 mill tax levy on businesses, rental properties, and second homes.
The Recreation Millage provides funding for maintenance and upkeep of district's recreational facilities in order to make them available for a variety of public activities. Some of these activities include, this millage supports the community use of the high school pool, the gymnasiums in all of the buildings, district fields and courts for soccer, basketball, tennis, senior citizen use of the auditorium and band room, and other recreational uses.
The Q & A below offers more clarity on these two (2) proposed millage renewals.
- What is a school district operating millage?
- What is a mill?
- How does thie operating millage impact the funding that the district receives?
- What is a non-homestead property?
- What is the difference between the two millages in the ballot questions that make up the operating millage?
- Are these new taxes?
- Will my primary home property taxes go up if this passes?
- Do businesses and commercial entities pay this operating tax in other school districts?
- Why are you asking for 19 mills for non-homestead properties if you are only allowed to levy 18 mills?
- Why are you requesting a hold harmless renewal of 5.49 mills on principal residences if you currently only levy 1.1100 mills?
- How many years will the operating millages be renewed for?
- How much money do these millages generate for the operations of the school district?
- How much is the current General Fund operating budget?
- If the operating millage renewal does not pass, how will it affect the operations of the school district?
- How many mills is Novi Community School District currently levying?
- What is a Headlee Rollback?
- How can Novi Community School District avoid a Headlee Rollback?
- Why does the ballot language ask for an increase?
- What is a Public Recreation Millage?
- Why are you proposing this Public Recreation Millage Renewal?
- What is the recreation millage used for?
- How many years is the recreation millage renewal for?
- Will my property taxes go up if this passes?
- How much money does the recreation millage generate?
- If the recreation millage is renewed, what changes will the community see?