Who do Novi Schools nee infrastructure upgrades?
Due to aging district facilities, improvements are required to maintain healthy and safe learning environments. Building components and systems that are beyond their useful lives will be addressed to create equity across all schools and also to provide energy savings initiatives crucial to our operating budget. The proposed bond touches every building across the District and addresses imminent infrastructure issues at all facilities to include the following:
- Upgrade technology infrastructure
- Upgrade playgrounds
- Replace exterior doors
- Replace windows and roofing
- Replace interior finishes
- Renovate toilet rooms
- Replace operable walls, bleachers and toilet partitions
- Upgrade HVAC, plumbing, and electrical systems
- Site paving and drainage
Average Building Age = 25 years
How will the addition to Meadows 5-6 building benefit students and the community?
The addition to and renovation of the existing Novi Meadows 5th and 6th grade building will modernize and expand instructional spaces and unify the 5/6 educational environment. The addition to Meadows will be constructed in open space adjacent to the existing building and will be completed in phases. The students will occupy the existing building while the addition is built. Once the addition is complete, 5th and 6th graders will move in and the existing buildings will be vacated for renovation. The 5th and 6th grades are brought together into a single contiguous school that will unify the building and improve access to services for all students.
The remaining 5th and 6th grade wings will be renovated to house a Center-based special needs program, the Adult Transition Center and Novi Community Education. Additional benefits of the Meadows 5th & 6th grade campus redevelopment include the following:
- Special needs students who are currently bussed to other districts will be served in their home district.
- Young adults in the Adult Transition Center will have appropriate classroom space that meets current standards.
- Classrooms will be available for adult education including High School Completion and ESL English classes.
- Adequate space will be available for Staff Training and Development sessions.
How will safety and security in our schools be enhanced?
Safety and Security measures will be enhanced through secure welcome centers and enhanced technology, i.e. cameras, electronic latching devices, etc.
2019 Bond proposal will create secure welcome centers in all Novi school buildings. New enhancements will include the following:
- School entries will be remodeled to redirect the flow of visitors into the building. Vestibules will be constructed or reconfigured to require visitors to enter through the main office. School offices that are not located near a school’s main entrance will be relocated to the front of the building.
- All schools will receive upgraded electronic access systems, additional security cameras, and remote lock-down capability for classrooms across the District.
- Other safety measures include expanding and replacing parking lots, new exterior lighting, and replacing deteriorating sidewalks as well as asphalt play areas.
STEAM & ROBOTICS
A shift from Science Theory to Science Application “Learning by Doing”
The Setting Matters
- Flexible furniture to allow individual, small, or large group collaboration
- Access to utilities, i.e. gas, water, power, etc.
- Presentation areas
- Dedicated, secure and ample storage areas
- Abundant technology
- Optimizes research, analysis, interaction and hands-on activities
- Spaces to support every elementary, middle and high school student in the classroom and for after school activities