Tips for Academic Success
There are a number of things you can do to feel more comfortable with your academic workload. Please review the list below!
1. Communicate with your teachers! Ask for help; if available, see them before or after school or before or after class. Use in class opportunities as well.
2. Encourage your parents to communicate with your teachers and use MiStar Parent Portal to keep up-to- date on your attendance and grades.
3. Use your planner to organize due dates, quiz/test dates, etc.
4. If your planner isn’t sufficient then please come down to the counseling office or go to the counseling website and get a “Weekly Student Progress Report” to help organize your classes and get feedback from your teachers.
5. Utilize tutoring resources. These are available in the counseling office and are frequently emailed out to students.
6. Be present. Not just in attendance but be alert in class.
7. Learn to prioritize all of the activities in your life…school, work, clubs, sports, fun, etc.
8. Learn to prioritize your homework at night. What’s required, what’s optional, what’s weighted more, etc.
9. Take a deep breath. You have time to get on track. Only your final semester grades are indicated on your transcript so please don’t panic over marking period grades- there is time to make improvements.
10.Take time for yourself…mental health is important! Get enough sleep at night, eat nutritious foods, talk to someone when you are stressed, exercise, etc.
Expect a GREAT year!
ONLINE RESOURCES AND TUTORS-
For information aobut Khan Academy, WyzAnt, Sylvan Learning, Tutor Doctor and Huntington Learning Center, click here
Novi Library HelpNow! Program
This database provides on-demand homework assistance from expert tutors on subjects including math, science, social studies, and Language Arts for students in grades 3-12. HelpNow! also includes Writing Lab, Test Center, Adult Learning Center and more! Flyer
Alternative, Adult & Continuing Education
Check out this video to learn about a great program!
Interested in attending a summer program?